Sherando High School Band Booster Association, Inc. (Band Booster Association) will issue a minimum of two scholarships every year to graduating student members of the Sherando High School Band Department. These scholarships are available to Band and Guard students. The total amount of the scholarships may vary according to available funding. All scholarships will be strictly based on participation and merit. After submission, all applications will receive a number to remove potential bias from the selection process.
2023 Scholarship Awards
In February 2023, the Band Booster Association discussed and approved the number of scholarships to be awarded and the amount of each award. This year there will be three scholarships awarded, totaling $4000.
- 1 Award in the amount of $2000
- 2 Awards in the amount of $1000
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
Applicant must be a graduating Sherando High School Senior who is currently a member of the band or guard, and who:
- Has achieved at least a grade of “B” in each band and/or guard course taken.
- Has been enrolled in band and/or guard for a minimum of TWO consecutive years in high school, to include the senior year. This includes transfer students.
- Regularly participates in band activities including, but not limited to, summer camp, rehearsals, performances, auditions, and assessments.
- Does not owe any delinquent fees to the Band Booster Association.
Applicants must show evidence of intent to attend an accredited institution of higher learning. They are NOT required to declare a music related major for eligibility.
- The application form must be completed in accordance with instructions.
- The essay must be attached to the appropriate scholarship application.
- A copy of a signed acceptance letter from a university, community college, or technical school to demonstrate intent to attend an institution of higher learning.
- All must be submitted by the April 20, 2023 DEADLINE.
- Late or incomplete application packets WILL NOT be considered.
Applications will be reviewed and scored by a selection committee approved by the Band Booster Association board of directors. Parents of senior band students are not eligible to serve on this committee. Selection committee members will include, at a minimum:
- One elected board member of the Band Booster Association,
- One representative of the Sherando High School Guidance Department, and
- One representative who is not associated with Sherando High School
- One representative band director from Frederick County Public Schools, not to include the band director from Sherando High School.
Scoring will be based on participation and merit related criteria using objective data submitted by the applicant.
Announcement and Payment
Recipients will be announced by the Band Booster Association Scholarship Committee Chair at the May Band Awards Ceremony. Scholarship money will be paid to the higher learning institution. In the event that a recipient becomes ineligible to receive a scholarship for any reason, the award will be forfeited and returned to the Band Booster Scholarship Fund.
Complete Your Scholarship Application
As of April 21, 2023 – Application process is now closed.